Itegure Kwiga or Strengthening School Readiness in Rwanda project (SSRR) is a project funded by Dubai Cares and implemented by Voluntary Service Overseas (VSO) Rwanda from April 2016-September 2019.
The project goal was to improve school-readiness of children in Nyamasheke district through an increase enrollment of children in Early Childhood Education (ECE) schools and an improvement of school-readiness for children entering primary school.
Project activities focused mainly on 30 model schools and community support and education system capacity strengthening.
I worked in 3 sectors in Nyamasheke: Shangi, Bushenge and Nyabitekeri. Together with a National Volunteer I worked in 6 Model schools and 6 Neighbouring schools.
My main responsibilities were:
- Facilitating trainings for ECE teachers, school leaders and community about the play-based ECE CBC.
- Coaching and mentoring ECE teachers and school leaders.
- Developing training content for ECE teacher trainings.
- Build the capacity of colleagues, mainly on Child Development and School Readiness.
- Developing many teaching and learning materials made from local available materials.
- Writing case stories and success stories about developmental changes in the schools.